Wednesday 24 September 2008

BOXES!







I love boxes! Yes I am a self-confessed cardboard collector. It's great that the images depicted are (generally) of the toy, not the car it's modeled on and that each toy gets it's own unique artwork, unlike today's generic packaging which is the same for every toy the world over.
Check out a selection of the toughest boxes you can find! Two Japanese Lamborghini Miura boxes, the later Dodge Dragster box, Japanese Maserati Bora and Ford GT40, generic Brazilian box and the elusive Dodge Dumper box, reputedly in print for a matter of weeks!

4 comments:

Mark A said...

I couldn't agree more. When you think of the guy's sitting there producing all this art work ( I wonder where the orginal paintings are?) it is amazing - and to think how it is done now- the latest offerings are pale imaitations.

Quality - no other word for it.

The Superfast Kid said...

I had a chat a few years ago with Paul Carr who used to work at the factory in Hackney, he remembers seeing a lot of the artwork in skips as they were emptying the factory after the takeover. Breaks your heart. However, i know a few survived as the have appeared on a website a while ago - the owner wanted to remain anon.

Mark A said...

Oh God!! that is tragic. Just imagine walking past at that point?, a quick chat with the security guard- "Oh you want that old stuff? - Yeah, no problem, take what you like". If only...........Of course you could always re create it? I have been thinking for a while taht there would be a market for repro-ing the old illustrations up to a decent size, and seling them as prints.

The Superfast Kid said...

Me too, in fact I have tried a few and I own a 7 colour proofing machine and have sold a few on eBay. I'll post a few soon. I also do some work for Mattel and I'm trying to find someone there who might know the whereabouts of any artwork. Will keep you posted!